PADDLE AND PEDAL
Full-day Kayak and Mountain bike program
Set under the snowy peaks of the Andes in Nahuel Huapi National Park, and surrounded by thick native forests, Lake Gutierrez is a truly impressive sight. These mountains and forests also shelter the lake from the Western patagonian winds, creating an ideal place for kayaking. We´ll use the amazing El Retorno Lodge as our base. Our mountain bike guide will give the group a brief talk about the ride, as well as instruction on mountain bike technique. We´ll get on the bikes and ride through wonderful trails and dirt backroads through the foothills of Cerro Catedral. The distance we´ll pedal will depend on the strength and pace of the group. We´ll haver our meal on the fabulous deck of the main patio, with priviledged views of the amazing scenery.
Our partner kayak operator, Pura Vida Patagonia, ensures the highest professionalism, great knowledge of the region, and high-quality international equipment. We´ll set up kayaks and gear at the lodge, as well as receiving a detailed brief and instruction from our kayaking guide. The guide will lead us at a leisurely pace, always putting safety first, and taking us to unique points around the lake. We´ll explore the amazing clear waters and green shores of Lake Gutierrez.
In the afternoon, after having lived an incredible day of intense contact with nature, we´ll relax and enjoy a refreshment or tea back at El Retorno, before driving you back to your hotel.
* Included: all kayak equipment (2-person kayaks, flotation vests, paddles, mittens, waterproof gear, dry bags); plus the included bike gear and services listed below.
You will be picked up at your hotel after 10am, and dropped off at your hotel at approx. 5pm. This day tour runs every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and is available on a private basis every day of the week.
2 hrs of rowing, and 2-3 hrs of total cycling, approximately (these times are spread throughout the day)
Low-medium – the kayaking is leisurely, always close to the shores with all necessary safety equipment; the biking is over easy dirt roads and trails, with some light climbs that can be walked up; basic technical skills are sufficient
- Shuttle from and back to your hotel
- Support vehicle available on-call for emergencies, equipped with radio communication,
first aid kit, spare parts and tool box
- Bilingual Guide
- Mountain bike riding instruction
- High quality 24-speed mountain bikes, with front shocks (GT, Schwinn and Merida bikes)
- Helmet, water bottle, riding gloves and sunglasses, as well as tool repair kit
- Daypacks (available if you need one)
- Snack in the morning and Picnic Lunch at mid-day
- Afernoon refreshments, tea or beer
WHAT TO BRING
For our mountain bike day tours
- Biking shorts or other comfortable riding shorts (optional – long cycling pants or comfortable pants, depending on the weather)
- Extra short-sleeve tee and windproof/waterproof jacket (which you can carry in your backpack while cycling)
- Optional – long-sleeve t-shirt
- Suncap (which you can carry in your backpack when riding)
- If you need it, we can provide daypack and eyeshades
For our Paddle and Pedal program
- Long-sleeve shirts, non-cotton
- T-shirt, non-cotton
- Shorts, preferably of the quick-drying type
- Socks, 1 pair of warm socks
- Rain pants & thin waterproof jacket: Recommended for the unexpected rain.
- Windstopper: The rain jacket may also be used as windstopper
- Pants: 1 pair of light pants, of the quick-drying type
- Sweaters: 1 warm polartec or synthetic sweater
- Change of clothing: To leave in the van for the return trip
We were treated with perfect professionalism, everything was delivered exactly as promised.
“What an incredible itinerary, one day better than the next, beautiful places and delicious food. Congratulations on the organization and logistics to the entire Dirty Bikes team. Best of all was the privilege of meeting Silvina and Pablo, our Tour Leaders – they were both sensational, always attentive, and very patient in teaching us how to ride our mountain bikes. They were sensible to our personal needs and did everything possible to make each one of us happy. All of this with constant merry, energy, humor and warmness. More than customers, we feel like we´ve become great friends, and words cannot express our gratitude”
Many thanks to Javier and Pablo, our excellent tour leader and ride guide.
“Our ride through such beautiful forests and lakes was enhanced with our guides’ friendly, polite and relaxed manner. All accommodations were first class and the camp at Lake Falkner provided a personal and memorable barbecue in a quiet location. All lunches were gourmet affairs. Javier provided intelligent, fair and detailed knowledge of the surrounding nature, environment and the people of Argentina. Very enjoyable and memorable for me. Thanks to all at Dirty Bikes.”
Damiano (Tour Leader) was wonderful!
“The biking was great and it was superb to have the van support as our children learned to mountain bike. Damiano was spectacular with the children, they were very comfortable with him. The trip was well organized and supplied. The kayaking was lovely. All around, a great 3 days in Patagonia. Thank you so much”
I loved the trails and circuits
“And especially the last 3.5 km uphill, excellent! And everything else was brilliant! Pepe was great, as was Nicholas the chef. Kisses!”
I want to congratulate Anibal and his team for the excellent organization of our adventure
“The human touch and magnificent disposition in everything, and in every moment”
Thank you for the great bike trip.
“Although I found it quite difficult at times and found it a challenge , I absolutely loved it! Thanks so much for helping me to overcome my fear of biking downhill!!
The scenery was amazing and it was so good to see it all in the open air and not by car or bus! A great trip, well worth it”
Michelle Wallace (England)